The architect was Karl Samuelsson. The idea was to promote trade and transoceanic contacts. It was a duty-free building where imported goods were unloaded directly from the boats.
However, that activity was short-lived; when Frihamnen harbour was added in 1922, the free warehouse lost its significance and became a regular warehouse. For a long time, it was used for storing dairy products. The free warehouse was therefore called the Cheese Warehouse, which still lives on today.