Gothenburg Town Hall
A central square with many impressive buildings like the city hall.
Gothenburg’s political centre. Includes the old and new City Halls, the City Council and the Commodity Exchange. Formerly Stora Torget. There is a statue of the city’s founder Gustav II Adolf in the square.
The Göteborg City Hall was completed in 1673 and was designed by Nicomdemus Tessin. This is where Göteborg’s town council is housed. The additional functionalist annex was designed by the internationally famous architect Gunnar Asplund.
The commodity exchange, built in 1849, and designed by Pehr Johan Ekman, was home to the oldest commercial guild and is currently the town’s assembly place
The city hall and Wenngrenska Villa, both typical of the 18th century are still used today for the city’s administration.