The town hall on the square Gustaf Adolfs torg was completed in 1672, but as time passed it was considered too small. In 1912 a competition was won by architect Gunnar Asplund and his functionalistic addition to the building was completed in the autumn of 1936. His way of blending the old and the new part has reached international recognition.
The facade is polished and the inner walls covered in wood, while the interior is dominated by the spacious hall with its skylights and the glass ceiling facing the yard. In connection with the addition, the older part of the town hall's interior was modernised. Gunnar Asplund also designed custom made furniture, lamps and textiles for the construction.
Even though this work is seen as one of Asplund's best, it was far from an immediate success – the people of Gothenburg were horrified by the functionalistic design and criticised the addition for years. Today, Gothenburg takes pride in Asplund's work and the addition was listed in 1982. The older part had already been listed in 1968. The Town Hall reflects the architecture of three different eras.
Historieverket offer guided tours of the Town Hall in Swedish on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Guided tours in English are booked at email@example.com.